Our new street food and picnic area went down and treat last time. Of course, we were blessed with the sun (which helps everything!) and fingers crossed, we can once again enjoy chilled Saturday vibes to browse through stalls along the laneway before taking a pew and enjoying a coffee and bite to eat from our street food vendors.
So, what’s new this month?
We always relish the opportunity to be the market of choice for a new artisan producer to launch their products. Last month we had the honour of being the first outing for Dickie D’s Grilled Cheese. Launching at our June 2018 market, we are delighted to welcome Bara Bakehouse, who will be bringing a selection of small-batch baked sourdough breads and morning goods to Hillsborough Farmers’ Market. We expect there to be a run on these, so don’t be disappointed – get there early!
We are also more than excited to shout about our seasonal produce especially those foods unique to Northern Ireland, such as Comber Earlies grown on the banks of Strangford Lough. The lovely folk from Cherry Valley Farm will be bringing these bundles of joy as well as locally grown strawberries.
More new faces added to the bill of fare for June include:
- Harry Jordan, aka The Oyster Catcher with fresh Carlingford Lough Oysters, smoked salmon, dress crab and chowder
- Ispini Charcuterie with their ‘Charcuterie Cones’ went down a treat last year. They’ll also have their full range of their award-winning chorizo and salami - perfect for an easy alfresco sharing platter
- Irish Black Butter – a new to the market artisan preserve with sweet and savoury uses
- Jack’s Fudge – crumbly, buttery, moreish fudge made with local butter
- Harnett’s Oils – innovative and award-winning rapeseed oil from The Waring Estate, Waringstown
- The Parson’s Nose Hillsborough’s own, are bringing their pantry of breads and sweet treats up the street to Dark Walk Lane!
- Deli Muru with the most delectable pickles, chutneys and preserves – the ideal accompaniment to those sharing platters
- Ni Cho Chocolate with their strawberry and chocolate fountain!
- Amberline Preserves syrups and fermented foods made with ingredients grown or foraged from their organic farm
- Habanero Steve’s – you like chilli? You gotta try these gourmet chilli jams and hot sauces!
- Corndale Farm are joining us for the first time with their award winning free-range charcuterie of chorizo and salami’s – try the chilli one if you like a little kick-back!
- Salt and Chillie – Chinese inspired street food – made to order!
- …and finally, produce permitting, organic kitchen garden to NI’s finest restaurants, The Walled Garden at Helen’s Bay, will be joining us (if those pesky chefs don’t take up all the produce this weekend)!
Adding to the non-food offer
- Cottage Garden Plants always provide bountiful colour and interest to the entrance of Dark Walk Lane with their unrivalled selection of herbaceous perennials and they are back again to welcome you in!
- The lovely duo that are Foxtrail Flowers are joining us for June, with their distinctive ‘Tins of Blooms’, perfect as a gift ‘to-me’, or to whoever is hosting the weekend bbq or picnic!
- In Klover, is back with us this year to bring a taste of the curated offering that can be found year round in their shop in Hillsborough village.
- Finally, locally artist, Gillian Boyd Art, is bringing her amazing collection of original paintings, prints and handmade bookmarks, tags and notebooks.
School’s Out, Sun’s Out…
To celebrate the school summer holidays, we have free face painting and balloon modelling for the youngest of our visitors!
To help with the shopping lists, here is a handy guide to who’s trading on Saturday 30th June:
Street Food Picnic Area
- Buchanan’s Farm Street Food – breakfast baps and steak burgers made to order
- Dickie D's Grilled Cheese – yummiest gourmet cheese toasties
- Hill Mix Tape – providing coffee fixes – hot and chilled
- Ni Cho – coffee and artisan chocolate covered local strawberries
- Salt & Chillie – Chinese inspired street food
- The Hatch – restaurant quality artisan street food, made to order
- Armstrong Twisted Fish (healthy dog treats)
- Cottage Garden Plants (herbaceous perennials)
- Foxtrail Flowers (artful Tins of Blooms)
- Gillian Boyd Art (original paintings, prints etc)
- Howell & Trowel (succulents)
- In Klover (curated selection of NI arts and crafts)
- Mrs Rganics (organic skincare)
- Plumpy Balms (vegan lip balms and tints)
And of course…..
4 legged friends are welcome as always, to bring their responsible 2 legged owners to the market! Armstrong Twisted Fish are back with us with their range of hypoallergenic, grain free, low fat, handmade dog treats. So, we really do have something for everyone!
See you there!
Where? Dark Walk Lane at Hillsborough Fort
When? Last Saturday of May, June and July 2018