Book Tickets Online
Warp back in time and explore Ireland’s industrial heritage in our award-winning, permanent exhibition, ‘Flax to Fabric: the Story of Irish Linen’. Through live spinning and weaving demonstrations, our expert guides tell the rich history of linen production in Ulster, from the earliest times to the present.
Irish linen is famous worldwide, in the linen collection gallery, visitors are able to view fine samples of seventeenth-century Coulson’s damask whose linen was bought by Royal houses all over Europe. Also on view is a costume collection which includes designs by renowned Irish designer Sybil Connolly, whose dresses were worn by Jackie Kennedy. The gallery includes a selection of fine linen christening robes, stockings embroidered for Queen Victoria and wares from the world-renowned Robinson & Cleaver.
Regular exhibitions on the history of Lisburn, its people and the surrounding area are displayed in Lisburn Museum’s historic 17th-century Market House gallery.
Public education programming includes FREE guided tours of its galleries, the town and Castle Gardens. Arts, science and history workshops are tailored to group needs. Lisburn Museum has a comprehensive autumn programme, seasonal workshops and special event programme throughout the year.
A full Education Services brochure is available on request. Schools and special interests groups have a selection of programmes and workshops to choose from, details from reception. All programming is FREE.
Lisburn Museum has accessible parking beside the building and a choice of public car parks nearby. A shop area offering a small section of linen goods is locate data reception. This is the only place in the world where the Flax Flower damask design is available to buy, a range of linen tableware is on sale.
There are several cafes, restaurants and bars nearby.
- Guide dogs permitted
- Toilets for disabled visitors - Fully accessible toilets on ground floor.
- Guided Tours Available - Free guided tours are available but must be pre-booked. Minimum and maximum numbers apply.
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children of all ages are welcome but must be accompanied by an adult.
- Baby changing facilities - Baby changing facilities are available in toilet area on ground floor.
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- Face mask essential (not provided) - Currently face masks are essential but not provided
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Open now - The museum is open from 9,30am to 5.00pm from Tuesdays to Saturdays (closed Sunday and Monday)
- Accept coach parties
- Accommodation nearby
- Groups accepted - Groups accepted for tours but must be pre-booked.
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Frequent bus services
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Station nearby
- Taxi rank nearby
- All major credit/debit cards accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa Debit Accepted